Job offer: Interpreter assistant in Maroua, Cameroon by United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, UNHCR.
Duties and Qualifications
1. Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Office of the UNHCR was established on 14 December 1950 by the UN General Assembly. The agency is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or resettle in a third country (www.unhcr.org).
The Interpreter Assistant normally reports to a higher level of local or international staff. The incumbent supports the operation with translation and interpretation-related activities.
Overall objective: to ensure the provision of translation and interpretation services for UNHCR in the following languages: English, French, Arabic, Sango, Kaba
The interpreter is required to:
- Provide oral interpretation, both in person and remotely, into English from French and/or Arabic and/or Sango and/or Kaba.
- Provide written translation into English of documents related to activities pertaining to the resettlement programme.
- Assist UNCHR staff of the Resettlement, Registration, Community Based Protection and Protection Units, as necessary, in translating individual interviews with refugees under consideration for resettlement and in facilitating translation during meetings and counselling sessions with refugees, both in person and remotely.
- Assist the caseworkers with light administrative duties (i.e. filing, photocopying, drafting non-substantial reports, etc.) related to the cases they provided interpretation for.
- Familiarize her/himself with UNHCR procedures and guidelines related to interviews, in order to ensure quality services.
- Respect the principle of confidentiality and remain impartial in his/her work.
- Perform other duties, as required.
The interpreter will be required to read, understand and comply with the UNHCR Code of Conduct, the Undertaking of Confidentiality and Impartiality, and the Secretary General¿s Bulletin ST/SGB/2003/13 of 9 October 2003 concerning special measures for protection from sexual exploitation and sexual abuse.
3. Minimum Qualifications
- Education & Professional Work Experience
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G3 - 1 year relevant experience with High School Diploma; or Bachelor or equivalent or higher
- One year of relevant experience working for a humanitarian organization or related activities preferred (experience working as an interpreter and/or translator strongly preferred)
Field(s) of Education
- Not applicable. (Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Certificates and/or Licenses Not applicable
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Qualifications and competencies
- Excellent command of English and French, as well as one or more languages among Arabic, Sango, and Kaba;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work in multicultural environments and respect for diversity;
- Excellent oral and high writing skills; good drafting, formulation, and reporting skills;
- Commitment to professionalism and to preserving the confidentiality of the refugees¿ information;
- Self-motivation, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Ability to maintain attention for extended periods of time and to maintain high-quality outputs;
- Willingness to learn new skills.
- Previous experience as part of a team in an international and multicultural environment in the humanitarian sector;
- Previous experience as a translator/interpreter in the humanitarian sector;
- Previous experience in taking and passing language proficiency tests.
Job offer: Interpreter assistant in Maroua - Functional Skills
IT-Computer Literacy (MS Excel, MS Word, MS Teams)
- Proficiency in French, Kanuri, Haoussa & Arabe
- Knowledge of English is an asset.
4. Competency Requirements
All jobs at UNHCR require six core competencies and may also require managerial competencies and/or cross-functional competencies. The six core competencies are listed below.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
Apply for job
Was this article helpful?