Job offer in Cameroon 2022: The Pan African University is looking for a rector. Having at least two years of experience as a Rector and looking for employment? Seize this chance!
- Respect for Diversity and TeamWork
- Think Africa Above all
- Transparency and Accountability
- Integrity and Impartiality
- Efficiency and Professionalism
- Information and Knowledge Sharing
Directorate/Department : ESTI
Number of Direct Reports: 10
Number of Indirect Reports: 20
Job Grade: D1
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Yaounde, Cameroon
Purpose of Job
This is the position of the Chief Executive and chief academic officer of the Pan African University’s Management structure and shall exercise general superintendence and control over the university. The holder of this position will be responsible for formulating and implementing appropriate operating policies and decisions related to the establishment of the PAU, in line with the PAU’s Statute which outlines the functions of this position (Articles 13 and 14) and in accordance with the PAU strategic plan. He /she shall be responsible for implementing innovative programs and adopting new cutting-edge technologies for the University, to make it globally competitive. He/she shall be responsible for developing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with, educational, research, governmental, business, industrial, professional, social, civil society and cultural institutions regionally and internationally. The PAU Rector will be supported in his/her functions by Vice-Rector (Research, Development and Cooperation) and other staff.
- Develop and maintain operating rules and procedures;
- Provide technical leadership and ensure efficient functioning of rectorate the PAU Institutes and the PAVEU;
- Ensure overall management of the PAU personnel, budget, performance, quality, discipline and training in conformity with relevant rules and procedures in force;
- Determine and execute the overall strategy of the PAU in alignment with PAU rules and procedures;
- Design and develop a business continuity plan to address unforeseen circumstances;
- Design operational policies consistent with the AU’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Ensure risk management and mitigation Prepare and oversee integrated programs of overall activities of the organization;
- Build and maintain a strategic plan to form good working relations with ESTI and other departments of the Commission;
- Develop and maintain regular working relations with top-level stakeholders in appropriate agencies of the Member States and partners;
- Organize coordination meetings between PAU and other similar and relevant organizations;
- Ultimately responsible for preparing periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports;
- Oversee the collection of contributed funds to the PAU;
- Initiate and take necessary actions to collect funds for and for the African Union as a whole;
- Propose training programmes relating to program designing and coordination;
- Promote awareness and training of best practices in the area of expertise.
- Represent the University in all forums as its Chief Executive;
- Facilitate the signing of MOUs with Host Universities, Host Countries, and Lead Thematic Partners and African Union Commission;
- Conclude agreements, contracts or other arrangements between the PAU and other competent bodies for pedagogic, research, management and funding purposes with the approval of the PAU Council;
- Coordinate the development of a corporate plan for the operationalization of the PAU and ensure it is translated into appropriate, and realistic goals and objectives that are delivered harmoniously and successfully;
- Prepare and present the PAU annual activity report to the PAU council;
- Ensure the implementation of the decisions of the African Union Summit of Heads of State and Government with regard to PAU;
- Facilitate the required co-ordination between Directors of PAU Institutes and Coordinators of Programme Departments and Centers;
- Coordinate the selection of the PAU Satellites centres;
- Liaison with the African Union Commission, Vice-chancellors of Host Institutions, and Lead Thematic Partners;
- Managing the personnel of the PAU;
- Coordinate the establishment of Rectorate and recruitment of Rectorate staff;
- Coordinate the student recruitment process, award of scholarships, and smooth relocation to respective Institutes;
- Ensure the recruitment of academic staff for PAU Institutes;
- Provide oversight for all PAU academic programs;
- Ensuring the implementation and the periodic monitoring of the PAU’s multi-annual strategic development plan as approved by the PAU Council
- Performing all other functions as are necessary for the proper administration, smooth operation and development of the PAU.
- Serve as secretariat to the PAU Council and chair the PAU senate
- Any other responsibilities assigned by ESTI Commissioner.
- Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A PhD holder and a full professor in the fields of science, technology or engineering (including social sciences, and humanities) of a recognized university, with 15 years of relevant post-graduate progressive academic experience of which eight (8) years are at a senior academic leadership position within a recognized university;
The following will be an added advantage:
- Having held the administrative positions of Vice-Rector, Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Rector or Vice-Chancellor within a recognized university having at least two years of work experience in continental or international organizations Successful track record of fund-raising for international projects.
- Having had recognition from peers (be a recipient of at least one award from a national/continental/ body or professional association or research/development organization) for outstanding academic leadership or research/development contribution
Required Skills -
- A proven record of effective leadership and management experience at a senior level in an academic/research institution
- Working knowledge of policy analysis and development and programme/project management, implementation and monitoring
- Highly conversant in the cultures and changing landscapes of higher education internationally;
- Strong background in research and publications, a prominent profile in the relevant academic community;
- Ability to communicate orally with strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to express ideas and formulate plans by means of clear and effective writing and oral presentations;
- Ability to draft conceptual and detailed reports/papers and review/edit the work of others;
- Ability to prepare rationale with respect to key financial and administrative decisions;
- Ability to negotiate effectively.
- Keeps abreast of available technology and understands its applicability to the work of the Organization;
- Ability to actively seek, identify and apply appropriate technology to improve programme delivery;
- Good computer literacy
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic, and Spanish); fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage
- Strategic Focus
- Developing Organizational Capability
- Change Leadership
- Strategic Risk Management
- Building Partnerships
- Drives Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking
- Drive for Result
- Fosters Innovation
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
ENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the African Union's working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, or Spanish) is required. Knowledge of one or more of the other AU working languages would be an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 78,138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (48% of basic salary), Housing allowance of US$ 21,832.68 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be made not later than July 11, 2022.
Requisition ID: 1241